This action opens any image file as an editable smart object. This lets you, for example, open a camera RAW image and filter it non-destructively (screenshot).
- In the Effects palette, double-click the "Open as Smart Object" pictogram.
- In the "Open As Smart Object" dialog, choose a source file. It may be a layered PSD, JPEG, RAW, etc.
- The imported smart object appears in the Layers palette as the only layer.
Now if you decide to edit the smart object's contents:
- In the Effects palette, double-click the "Edit Smart Object" pictogram.
- The smart object opens as an ordinary document. Edit it as needed.
- Save the edited smart object (File > Save) - the source smart object in the original document updates immediately.